oṃ bhūrbhuvaḥ svaḥ
oṃ tat savitur vareṇyaṃ
bhargo devasya dhīmahi
dhiyo yo naḥ prachodayāt
Meaning of Gayatri Mantra:
- Om – Sakala Gunaparipoorna
- bhOO: – He is paripoorna in all the Gunaas
- bhuva: – he has Maha Aishwarya
- sva: – he has Anantha Sukha – no end for his sukha
- ya: – Which paramanthma na: – our
- dhiya: – Jnaana prachodayaat – one who does the prerana,
- tat (tasya) savitu: – jagat srustikartha
- devasya – kreedaadigunavishis hta suryaantargata lakshminarayana’ s
- tat – filled with vyapta Gunaas
- varEnyaM – He is vandaneeya from Everybody
- bharga: – Jnaanamaya svaroopa
- dhimahi – let us do dhyana
Oh God, the Protector, the basis of all life, Who is self-existent, Who is free from all pains and Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Who pervades the Universe and sustains all, the Creator and Energizer of the whole Universe, the Giver of happiness, Who is worthy of acceptance, the most excellent, Who is Pure and the Purifier of all, let us embrace that very God, so that He may direct our mental faculties in the right direction.
Gayatri Mantra’s 24 akshara roopas
1. tat – kEshava
2. sa – naaraayana
3. vi – maadhava
4. tu: – gOvinda
5. va – ViShnu
6. rE – madhusUdana
7. Ni – trivikrama
8. yaM – vaamana
9. bhar – shrIdhara
10.ga: – hRuShIkEsha
11.dE – padmanaabha
12. va – daamodara
13. sya – vaasudEva
14. dhI – saNkarshana
15. ma – pradyumna
16. hi – aniruddha
17. dhi – purushottama
18. yO – Adhokshaja
19. ya: – narasimha
20. na: – achyutha
21. pra – janaardhana
22. chO – upendra
23. da – hari
24. yaat – kRishna
Gayatri mantra pratipaadya 6 roopaas –
gaayatri – This is Bhagavantha’ s streeroopa
bhUta – matsya, kUrma, varaahaadi bhagavantha’ s roopa
vaak – vaak naamaka strIrUpI hayagreeva
pRuthivi – bhagavantha’ s another stree roopa
Who is Gayatri Prathipadya?
As per Narasimha Purana, Gayatri is none other than Sriman Narayana, in his stree form (roopa).
dhyEya: sadaa savitRumaMDala madhyavarthI
naaraayaNa: sarasijaasanasanniv iShta: |
kirITI haarI hiraNmayavapu: dhRutashaMKachakra:
One who is sitting in Padmasana, has shanka-chakra, whose body is full of Golden Colour, has kireeta in his head, has haara, kEyUra, kundala in his ears, has Divyabharana. He is savitrunaamaka Lakshminaarayana.
Chanting Gayatri Mantra
As per Sri Devendra Theertha Sreepadangalavaru, of Mysore, whose Vrundavana is in Narasimha Theertha, Mulbagilu)
One should do the sankalpa of chanting the Gayatri Mantra in the following way:
- Gaayatryaa: – For Gayatri Mantra,
- GayatrichaNda : – gaayatri is the Chandassu
- Vishwamitra Rushi: – Vishwamitra is the Rushi
- Savita Devata – Savitranaamaka paramaatma is the devataa
- agnimukam – Agnyantargata paramatma himself is the “Mukha” – face (agni was born from paramathma’s mukha – face)
- Brahmashira: – Chaturmukha Brahmantargata paramathma is the “Shira” – head
- Vishnuhrudaya: – Sarvatra vyapta ViShnuvE hRudaya – heart – in the form of “Srivatsa”
- rudra: shiKa (lalattam) – Rudraantargata sankarshana is the “Shikhaa”
- pRuthivE yOni: – pRuthivi itself is the “Yoni”
- praanaapaana – Praana, apaana, vyaana, udaana, samaanaadi panchapraana
- sapraana – Devadatta, koorma, kRukara, dhananjaya, naagaadi 5 upapraana
- raktavarNa – his colour is Blood colour
- saMKyaanasagOtra – his gootra – saaMKyaayana gootra
- chaturvimshatyaksha ra – He has keshavaadi 24 rUpaa
- tripada – Vaikuntaadi 3 svaroopaamsha – Rugveda, atharvana, samavedaadi vedagalu
- ShaTkukShi: 4 directions (South, East, north, west directions),
- + 2 urdvaadi directions (Akasha + bhoomi)
- i.e, in all directions he has vyaptatva
- panchasheertha – he has vyaakaraNa, shikshaa, kalpa, nirukta, jyotisha, named 5 shirassu
- upanayane – we have to make dhyaana on such a Paramathma swaroopa
- yatha sakthi gayatri japa viniyoga:
Procedure to chant gayatri mantra (chintana krama)
- need not hold Yagnopaveetha.
- should hold fingers close to each other. There must not be gap between fingers.
- have to count from clockwise direction. One should do anusandhana as the fingers are “Meru Parvatha” the Centre finger and the fourth finger as Meru Parvatha.
- While doing Prathasandhyavandan a, one should hold hand in front of Nabhipradesha, in Madhyaahnika – in front of Vakshasthala and in Sayam Sandhyavandana – near Naasikaagra.
- In Meru Parvatha – Sri Chaturmukha Brahmadevaru, with Saraswathadeviyaru, are doing the seva of Sri Lakshmi sametha Srihari. The meru parvatha is made up of Suvarna. One has to start counting from the Anaamika finger (ring finger), left to right, that itself will be pradakshine to Meru Parvatha, which gets one punya,or performing Pradakshina of Meru parvatha.
- one should do the japa in the scale of 10:100:1000, after doing the gayatri japa one has do japa of Narayana beeja akshara (oM Namo Narayanaya Namaha oM) of thrice the count of gayatri japa in the scale of 30:300:3000
- chant Gayatri Mantra very light, so that others will not hear the chanting mantra.
- not laugh, chat with others, thinking other works.
- try to control our Manassu.
- in morning before sun rise, do the japa by standing Poorvabhimukha (facing east). (After sun rise – one can sit and do the japa). During Madhyaahnika and Saayam Japa must be by sitting only.
As per Tikakritpadacharyara SrimanNyaayasudha:
“gaanatraaNakartrut vam |
arthapratipaadakatv am gaanakatrutvam |
paapaat rakShaNashakti: traaNakartutvam |”
gaayatri – gaayat + tri = gaayatri
gaayat means – All veda’s artha will be given by Purusha sooktha. Gayatri gives the artha of purushasookta mantra. In this way because gayatri mantra gives samagra mantraartha, it is termed as “gaayat” and tri – It saves from all the paapashesha – as such it is “tri”
Gayatri mantra and Sri Madhva’s philosophy By His Holiness Sri Sri 1008 Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha Swamiji of Sri Palimar Matha, Udupi
( Refered from Parimalam – June 2008 – http://dvaita.parimalam.googlepages.com)
It is commonly acclaimed that the Gayatri Mantra is the second mother to those that belong to the first three castes. Her milk is the nourishing food for them. The words “dhiyo yo nah pracodayat” is a quartet of the Gayatri mantra. Its meaning is the five-fold difference taught by Sri Madhva. It is as follows:
Nah means souls and is in the plural number. From this, it follows that souls are many. From the statement that there is the one Lord living in our minds, it follows that the Lord and souls are absolutely different, for they stand in the relation of the life giver and the receiver.
Buddhi being a transformation of mind comes under the category of insentient objects.That buddhi is declared to be stimulated by the Lord, hence it follows that insentient matter and the Lord are different.
The word ‘dhiyah’ being in the plural number, it follows that there is absolute difference between insentient objects. The statement ‘nah dhiyah’ meaning our intellects establish the difference between insentient objects and souls, because of their relation. The knowledge of this absolute five-fold difference is the milk of the mother Gayatri. There is no doubt that the good souls attain liberation by performance of Gayatri thrice a day.
The Gayatri mantra does not teach identify of the individual soul and Brahman by any of its words. The five-fold difference is the chief import of Gayatri. That the Gayatri mantra is the source of all the Vedas is made known by statements like “Veda maata tu Gayatri.” The entire Vedas and Upanishads, which embody the prime meaning of Gayatri, state the absolute five-fold difference; and it is not appropriate to state that they have for their import identity. Sri Madhva has taught us the central essential philosophy of the Vedas. This outlook of Sri Madhva provides greater and greater incentive in the efforts of the devotee to reach GOD.
See this Link for a word by word meaning : http://www.eaglespace.com/spirit/gayatribywords.php