Pitru Tarpana: those who have the Adhikâra (eligiblity) to give Tarpana should follow these rituals. Tarpana should be given on 96 days in a year. This is called Shannavati.
Note: Eligibility for performing tarpana by a kartha (son) is (from) one year after the death of father.
The 96 days includes:
- 12 Amâvâsya days (month/date): 1/23, 2/21, 3/22, 4/21, 5/20, 6/19, 7/19, 8/17, 9/16, 10/15, 11/13, 12/13
- 12 Sankramana (When Sun enters the next rasi) days: DATES (month/date): 1/15 (Makara), 2/13 (Kumbha), 3/14 (Meena), 4/14 (Mesha), 5/14 (Vrushabha), 6/14 (Mithuna), 7/16 (Karkataka), 8/16 (Simha), 9/16 (Kanya), 10/17 (Thula), 11/16 (Vrushchika), 12/15 (Dhanur)
- 15 days in Pitru Paxa (Bhâdrapada Krishna Paxa): DATES (month/date): 10/1/12 to 10/15/12
- 24 days- Vaidhruti & Vyatipata yoga (2 in every month): DATES (month/date): 1/10, 1/25, 2/4, 2/19, 2/29, 3/16, 3/25, 4/10, 4/20, 5/6, 5/15, 6/1, 6/9, 6/26, 7/5, 7/22, 7/30, 8/16, 9/10, 9/20, 10/6, 10/15, 10/31, 11/10, 11/25, 12/5, 12/20.
- 14 Manvantaras:
- Pushya shuddha Ekadashi- 1/5/12
- mAgha shuddha sapthami- 1/30/12
- pAlguNa Poornima- 3/8/12
- Chaitra shuddha trithiya- 3/25/12
- Chaitra Poornima- 4/6/12
- Jyeshta Poornima- 6/4/12
- AshAda shuddha dashami- 6/29/12
- AshAda shuddha Poornami- 7/3/12
- Shravana Krishna Ashtami- 8/10/12
- Shravana amavasya- 8/17/12
- Bhadrapada shuddha tritiya- 9/18/12
- Ashvija shuddha navami- 10/23/12
- kArthika shuddha dwadashi- 11/25/12
- kArthika Poornima- 11/28/12
- Pûrvedyu, Ashtaka, Anvashtaka (Saptami, Ashtami and Navami) of Bhâdrapada, Margashira, Pushya, Mâgha and Phâlguna Krishna Paxa, totals to 15):
- Pushya Krishnapaksha Saptami, Ashtami and Navami- 1/15/12- 1/17/12
- Mâgha Krishnapaksha Saptami, Ashtami and Navami- 2/14/12- 2/16/12
- Phâlguna Krishnapaksha Saptami, Ashtami and Navami- 3/14/12- 3/16/12
- Bhâdrapada Krishnapaksha Saptami, Ashtami and Navami- 10/7/12- 10/9/12
- Margashira Krishnapaksha Saptami, Ashtami and Navami- It is in 2013
- Kruta, Treta, Dvâpara and Kaliugâdi days:
- mAgha Poornima- 2/7/12
- Vaishaka shuddha truthiya- 4/24/12
- Pitrupaksha trayodashi- 10/13/12
- kArthika shuddha navami- 11/22/12
- Bhishma Ashtami- 1/31/12
- Lunar/Solar Eclipses in India
- shrAddha day
This totals to 96 days. Apart from the above days, Tarpana should also be given on Grahana day and a special day called Arthodaya/Mahodaya. In the month of Pushya or Mâgha (1), if the Amaavaasya(2) falls on Sunday(3), the Naxatra is Shravana(4) and the Yoga is Vaidhruti(5) then it is called Ardhodaya. If any one of the (3) or (4) or (5) is missing, then it is called Mahodaya.
If more than one event falls on the same day, then the importance is given to the rare occurance and the Sankalpa is performed to the highest important event. The preference in the increased order is Amâvâsya, Uttarâyana/Daxinâyana, Grahana, Ardhodaya/Mahodaya. For ex. if either Uttarâyana or Daxinâyana falls on Amâvâsya, then sankalpa should be performed for the latter. On that day if there is a Grahana, then sankalpa should be for Grahana. If it happens to be Ardhodaya/Mahodaya, then the sankalpa should be for Ardhodaya/Mahodaya. On a single day Tarpana should not be given for more than one occasion.
If anyone of the above mentioned (96) days falls on Ekâdashi, then Tarpanashould not be given. Instead Pavamâna Sûkta should be recited.
For Panchanga See: http://www.mypanchang.com/2012/kannada/Bangalore-India/0/january.html for dates.
Based on a mail received in MYP, Adopted to Bangalore-India