Gist of Madhwa IShOpanishad Bashya
ISaavasyaopinasad is well known as IshOpanishad. This Upanishad is the 14th part of Vajasaneya Samhita of Shukla Yajurveda. ISaavasyaopinasad one of the most important upanishads and it is said to be revealed to Manu by his grandson Yajnya. The Lord Hari (Vishnu), known as Yajnya for being the Lord of all sacrifices, is the Devata. The Lord incarnated as the son of AkUti, the daughter of Manu himself. This Upanishad’s god is Yagna and is in the form of mantras, it is also called as yagniyaopanishd or yagniya-mantraopanishad.
Click Sri IshAvAsya_upanishad, to get IshOpanishad mantra by mantra with meaning
Click Sri_Madhva’s _Bhashya_on_Isha_panishad With Explanatory Notes by Nagesh D. Sonde
The important points about Sri Hari in this Upanishad are:
- Lord is Independent (ಭಗವಂತನು ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ)
- Whole universe is dependent on Lord (ಸಕಲ ಜಗತ್ತು ಭಾಗವಾಧೀನ)
- Omniscient – All knowing (ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞ)
- Omnipotent (ಸರ್ವಶಕ್ತ)
- Omnipresent – All Pervasive (ಸರ್ವಗತ)
- Perfectly Pure (ಪರಮಪವಿತ್ರ)
- Absolutely Complete (ಪರಿಪೂರ್ಣ)
- Controller of All (ಸರ್ವನಿಯಾಮಕ)
- In Dweller – both in Vayu (god of life) and us (ಅಂತರ್ಯಾಮಿ)
- Full of Auspicious Attributes (ಗುಣಪೂರ್ಣ)
- Beyond the Three Modes of Time (ತ್ರಿಕಾಲತೀತ )
- Doesnot have Physical Body (ಪ್ರಕೃತದೇಹ)
- One who does not have Misery, Anxiety, Suffering, or Sorrow (ಶೋಕಾದಿ)
Key tenets of IshOpanishad are
- One should accept whatever lord has designed and given has and should lead life satisfactorily and happily.
- One should not desire for others wealth and success.
- One should perform the duties ordained to one without expecting fruits or results, but only to please and serve Lord Sri Hari.
- One should follow the right and correct knowledge and ensure to condemn and deplore incorrect knowledge.
- If one ignores to deplore incorrect knowledge, he will get degraded (bad results) that is worse then what one would get by following the incorrect knowledge.
- One should think Lord as Creator, sustainer, and destroyer. If one merely thinks Lord as creator alone, then he will get degraded (bad results) that is worse then what one would get by thinking as not a creator.
One should pray Lord to show his splendor-full form to us and guide us to the right path that will lead and elevate one to salvation. At the same time one should be aware that apart this bhakti one cannot give anything else to Lord Sri Hari.
yOasAvasau puruShaH sOahamasmi (ಯೋಽಸಾವಸೌ ಪುರುಷಃ ಸೋಽಹಮಸ್ಮಿ)to this stanza, Sri Madhwacharyaru has given the following meaning: The Lord who is whole and complete in Prana (God of Life) is the one in every life form and without him there is no life, and he resides ever. This universe cannot exist without Him. That is why He is Aheya to all. Also, here the word Aham and Asmi are lords name only and not divisible – `ಅಹಂ ಚಾಸಾವಹೇತಃ| ಅಸ್ಮಿ ನಿತ್ಯಾಸ್ತಿತಾಮಾನಾತ್ ಸರ್ವಜೀವೇಷು ಸಂಸ್ಥಿತ:| ಸ್ವಯಂ ತು ಸರ್ವಜೀವೇಭ್ಯೋ ವ್ಯತರಿಕ್ತ: ಪರೋ ಹರಿ:’